Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Random thoughts on losing weight


Warning:

I am not a nutritionist or a food dietician and doesn’t recommend you to try any of these as long as your health requires special attention other than the tips and procedures to be mentioned. These are tips and realizations which I consider helpful and effective in me. Neither I have a super-model figure like the latest Transformers 3 leading lady, but still, I will not withhold this knowledge that I gained as I go along the process of losing weight.

+++

I have a lot of friends and co-workers who noticed the sudden change of my weight and since I have been asked how I did it, I decided to compile some of the things I learned/realized on this course.

For starters, I have to say that for the past years, ever since I graduated from college, my life has been ultimately sedentary and I am a consummate eater. My family and friends can attest how much I love food. That’s the reason why I gained 14 pounds over those years. I was weighing 53kg and before I knew it, I was already weighing 60kg. Though my body has always been in the slim category because even toddler days, I was never a chubby kid; yet, as I have noticed, as I age, I’ve been accumulating pounds that made me almost reach the overweight class. Intermittently, I have noticed clothes starting to shrink, I can see side bulges and enlarged tummy that I didn’t have before. I easily pant when long stairs and minor physical training challenge me.

Sometimes I resolve to do temporary preventive measures to avoid gaining more. I join aero-dance, badminton, swimming BUT inconsistently. I would eat right for a while and then I’ll go back to my usual routine. I would make up excuses for me not to change. Even if the scare of diabetes and other ailments acquired due to obesity are known to me, I am unmoved nonetheless. My lifestyle remained the same.

Until one day I got sick. I was suffering from LBM that I had to eat only Skyflakes and stirred Coca-Cola for one day. Oh boy spell torture! hahaha! I got fever and I was really weak that time. I vomit and moved bowels more frequent than usual. When I got better, I decided to weigh myself and found out I LOST 2 POUNDS JUST FROM BEING SICK. My officemate even noticed it that in just one day of absence from work, my body was a bit smaller and my office uniform became a little loose.

That’s the start, I said to myself. Even though it’s just 2 pounds, I would do everything not to regain them anymore. However, I wouldn’t recommend that for you to initially lose weight, you must drastically get sick nor gave you an impression that you have to be sick in order to start changing your lifestyle. Being sick is not a funny and a happy experience. The thought of going back to Skyflakes and Coca-cola again is just downright scary hahaha. It’s painful and frustrating to see everyone enjoying delicious food while you’re stuck with biscuits and whisked soda. It’s just that for me, an opportunity came during my "sick days" and from there I made a commitment that I would definitely get my act together and figure out how I would lose some more.

This brings me now to things that might help; thus, I wanted to share...

DECIDE. Everything comes to a decision. Decision, that is not tainted by emotions but the absolute desire that the routine has to stop. Once you've made a decision, it would only be natural for you to commit to it. This is also the time that you have to set goals. Decide how much weight you want to lose. Set goals. Specific, measurable, attainable, real, and time bound goals.

STAY WITH THE OBJECTIVE. Define the purpose of the action and you'll be surprised how it will affect your journey on losing weight. Eliminate the mindset that you have to be thin so you can be beautiful. I've always been a believer that a person is beautiful any weight she/he is. That's non-questionable. The person is not ugly, he/she is just unhealthy and it's imperative for us to realize it. For some this maybe for self-esteem issues, to feel good which isn't totally wrong, but if we objectify with wrong motives, we might end up getting frustrated, hence making our actions/methods futile.

KNOW THE BASICS. This blog will not endorse any pill, tea, clinic that will help you reach your goal. Personally, I appreciated the natural way of losing weight for I know the effects and results will be long-term. It might sound cliche but it's true that eating right, exercising, loading up water and getting enough sleep are the basic ways in losing weight effectively and safely. To be honest, I find the first two really really hard to do. As in CHORE!!! hahaha!

EDUCATE YOURSELF. As soon as I started to get serious on shedding off pounds, I decided to study and learn different ways on effective weight loss. Being a netizen for more than 8 hours a day really helped on educating myself. Just like what David Bonifacio said, internet can be a powerful tool in stocking up knowledge on diet and different exercises. Maximize it. Also, read fitness magazines and books. Invest in them. Talk to people who have the same passion and who could empower and will not confuse your goals. All the more you would be dedicated and inspired.

PUT EVERYTHING IN BALANCE. True enough, losing weight is difficult. It sometimes gets boring and annoying that is why commitment really has to make a big part. The technique I can give you is to put everything into balance. Remember the saying "No work and no play is no fun?" something like that hehehe.. Well, it's true. Whenever I have a week-long diet, I decided to make Sunday my "cheat day." A day when I can eat my favorite blueberry cheesecake, have an iced tea, no exercise and simply bum around. hehehe. As long as you're still doing it on moderation, cheat day isn't wrong. This is the time you let yourself enjoy the platter, but don't eat everything in the buffet table. Don't refrain yourself from enjoying great food. The worst thing on depriving yourself is that you will tend to eat more than you've actually wanted.


So there guys, I do hope that I have helped you somehow with these tips I shared. Again, all from a non-expert viewpoint; this is just me... (All glory to God) now eleven pounds lighter, trying to impart information.

God bless. :)

2 comments: